Everyday Tech - Apple and its Fight Against Child Predators
On this week's show:
- Apple has delayed its controversial child protection features, Jeremy has thoughts...
- Hulu is raising its prices again...
- YouTube says it has 50 million premium subscribers...
- Speaking of YouTube, TikTok has overtaken the tube in average watch time...
- GM has temporarily shut down North American factories because of the chip shortage...
- and...AI computers cannot patent their own inventions...yet.
This week's tech news links:
- Apple delays controversial child protection features after privacy outcry
- Hulu Is Raising Its Prices Again Oct. 8
- Why You Should Stop Using Your Facebook Messenger App
- YouTube reports having 50 million Premium and Music subscribers
- TikTok reportedly overtakes YouTube in US average watch time
- AI computers can’t patent their own inventions — yet — a US judge rules
- GM temporarily shuts down North American factories because of chip shortage
- Microsoft Start is a personalized news feed designed for Windows 11, mobile, and more
- Twitter is testing an official ‘soft block’ feature
- WhatsApp fined $267 million for breaching EU privacy law
- Texas is set to pass a new law banning Facebook from censoring conservatives
- Twitter has plans to let users hide their old tweets
Mountaintop To-Do Checklist
A lost hiker ignored rescuers' phone calls, thinking they were spam...Everyday Tech is MPB Think Radio's show about consumer tech, and your very own personal IT department - all wrapped up into one convenient package.Jeremy will help you fix it, and Wiltz will help you keep it safe...and both can actually do either, so we're in good hands!TECH STORIES OF THE LAST WEEK:The US Copyright Office just struck a blow for the right to repairSpotify expects to have over 400M users by the end of the yearGoogle Stadia tries something new: a free 30-minute game trialBiden appoints Jessica Rosenworcel to officially lead the FCCPhotoshop's new NFT button could prove you're the real digital artistA lost hiker ignored rescuers' phone calls, thinking they were spamLAST WEEK:Instagram's outages were so bad the app will now alert users when the service goes downApple is appealing the Epic Games ruling it originally called a 'resounding victory''All of this happened very fast': How a routine event brought everything down at Facebook | ZDNetTelegram gains 70M new users in just one day after Facebook outageAmazon is reportedly working on a smart fridgeGoogle is about to turn on two-factor authentication by default for millions of usersNetflix launches "Play Something" for Android usersYouTube Music will launch free background listening starting in Canada
Everyday Tech - Facebook Had A Really Bad Day
This week on Everyday Tech:How a routine event brought down Facebook...How Telegram gained 70,000,000 users in one day...Google trolls Bing about Bing searches for GoogleYouTube TV and NBC Universal build a temporary bridge to nowhere...and You can now buy a keyboard that just copies and pastes.'All of this happened very fast': How a routine event brought everything down at Facebook | ZDNetTelegram gains 70M new users in just one day after Facebook outageAmazon is reportedly working on a smart fridgeGoogle is about to turn on two-factor authentication by default for millions of usersNetflix launches "Play Something" for Android usersYouTube Music will launch free background listening starting in CanadaBlue Origin is officially sending William Shatner to spaceAmazon Prime members can now send gifts with just a phone number or email addressGoogle says Bing users search for Google more than anything elseYouTube TV and NBCUniversal agree to 'short' extension to avoid channels disappearingPixel phones can automatically record and upload video in an emergencyFCC considers new rules to stop scammers from hijacking your cell phoneFacebook will now let you make group chats across Instagram and MessengerYou can now buy a keyboard that only copies and pastesAlphabet's laser-Internet system has sent 700TB of data with 99.9% uptime
Everyday Tech - Universal USB-C?
This week on Everyday Tech:The EU is pushing for across the board USB-C ports, including iPhonesAustralia’s Top Court Finds Media Companies Liable for Other People’s Facebook CommentsMicrosoft's Windows store is now open to third-party app storesRoblox and music publishers settle $200 million copyright lawsuitRoblox and music publishers settle $200 million copyright lawsuit | EngadgetMicrosoft's Windows store is now open to third-party app stores | Engadgethttps://www.wsj.com/articles/australias-top-court-finds-media-companies-liable-for-other-peoples-facebook-comments-11631096115?mod=article_inlineEU proposes mandatory USB-C on all devices, including iPhonesYour Ring doorbell can now tell you when you have a package on your doorstepCNN restricts access to its Facebook pages in Australia | EngadgetAlphabet's laser-Internet system has sent 700TB of data with 99.9% uptimeAndroid 6 and up will start stripping unused apps' permissions$5.9 million ransomware attack on farming co-op may cause food shortageAmazon has banned over 600 Chinese brands as part of review fraud crackdown | EngadgetRoku's new Streaming Stick 4K gets Dolby Vision, HDR10+ and better Wi-Fi | EngadgetMicrosoft Start is a personalized news feed designed for Windows 11, mobile, and more