Everyday Tech - Apple and its Fight Against Child Predators
On this week's show:
- Apple has delayed its controversial child protection features, Jeremy has thoughts...
- Hulu is raising its prices again...
- YouTube says it has 50 million premium subscribers...
- Speaking of YouTube, TikTok has overtaken the tube in average watch time...
- GM has temporarily shut down North American factories because of the chip shortage...
- and...AI computers cannot patent their own inventions...yet.
This week's tech news links:
- Apple delays controversial child protection features after privacy outcry
- Hulu Is Raising Its Prices Again Oct. 8
- Why You Should Stop Using Your Facebook Messenger App
- YouTube reports having 50 million Premium and Music subscribers
- TikTok reportedly overtakes YouTube in US average watch time
- AI computers can’t patent their own inventions — yet — a US judge rules
- GM temporarily shuts down North American factories because of chip shortage
- Microsoft Start is a personalized news feed designed for Windows 11, mobile, and more
- Twitter is testing an official ‘soft block’ feature
- WhatsApp fined $267 million for breaching EU privacy law
- Texas is set to pass a new law banning Facebook from censoring conservatives
- Twitter has plans to let users hide their old tweets
Everyday Tech - Universal USB-C?
This week on Everyday Tech:The EU is pushing for across the board USB-C ports, including iPhonesAustralia’s Top Court Finds Media Companies Liable for Other People’s Facebook CommentsMicrosoft's Windows store is now open to third-party app storesRoblox and music publishers settle $200 million copyright lawsuitRoblox and music publishers settle $200 million copyright lawsuit | EngadgetMicrosoft's Windows store is now open to third-party app stores | Engadgethttps://www.wsj.com/articles/australias-top-court-finds-media-companies-liable-for-other-peoples-facebook-comments-11631096115?mod=article_inlineEU proposes mandatory USB-C on all devices, including iPhonesYour Ring doorbell can now tell you when you have a package on your doorstepCNN restricts access to its Facebook pages in Australia | EngadgetAlphabet's laser-Internet system has sent 700TB of data with 99.9% uptimeAndroid 6 and up will start stripping unused apps' permissions$5.9 million ransomware attack on farming co-op may cause food shortageAmazon has banned over 600 Chinese brands as part of review fraud crackdown | EngadgetRoku's new Streaming Stick 4K gets Dolby Vision, HDR10+ and better Wi-Fi | EngadgetMicrosoft Start is a personalized news feed designed for Windows 11, mobile, and more
Everyday Tech - Only 3 hours of gaming a week?!?
This week on Everyday Tech:A guy unlocked almost 2,000,000 AT&T phonesDoor Dash introduces on-demand alcohol deliveryTwitter will pay over $800,000,000 in an anti-trust lawsuitiOS 15 is out, we'll have some of the new perksChina is severely restricting teens access to gaming, are they on to something?and a ransomware attack on a farming co-op?Alphabet's laser-Internet system has sent 700TB of data with 99.9% uptimeAndroid 6 and up will start stripping unused apps' permissions$5.9 million ransomware attack on farming co-op may cause food shortageMan who unlocked 1.9 million AT&T phones sentenced to 12 years in prison | EngadgetAmazon has banned over 600 Chinese brands as part of review fraud crackdown | EngadgetTikTok owner ByteDance limits younger users to 40 minutes a day in China | EngadgetRoku's new Streaming Stick 4K gets Dolby Vision, HDR10+ and better Wi-Fi | EngadgetDoorDash expands alcohol deliveries to 20 states and DC | EngadgetTwitter will pay over $800 million to settle a class action suit | EngadgetiOS 15 is now available | EngadgetMicrosoft Start is a personalized news feed designed for Windows 11, mobile, and more
Everyday Tech - The New iPhone 13 is here!
This week on Everyday Tech:The headline is the new iPhone 13Battery, storage and camera upgrades are heremacro photography and cinematic videoWhat apple phones will get a price drop and which will be discontinuedThe iPhone 13 lineup and everything else just announced: Our Apple event recapiPhone 13 is here, and Apple upgraded the battery, storage and camerasiPhone 13 Pro cameras: Why this pro photographer is excited for Apple's new flagshipiPhone 13 price and preorders: How to get Apple's new phones for $0, starting FridayOlder iPhone prices slashed: All the discounts and which phones Apple's getting rid ofiPhone 13 battery life adds several hours to a single charge, Apple saysFord, Argo, and Walmart are bringing robo-delivery to three US citiesMicrosoft Start is a personalized news feed designed for Windows 11, mobile, and moreWhatsApp fined $267 million for breaching EU privacy lawTwitter has plans to let users hide their old tweets